Tuesday 1 November 2016

let's taco 'bout it ! (and by it I mean patterning and algebra) (week 7)

     
"Let's Taco Bout It" (2016). Pinterest via Hollister Co. Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/56154326576907607/


       This week surrounded patterning and algebra. When it comes to algebra, I am automatically lost! I feel like I lack the foundational knowledge to build up my current skills, so I am trying to re-learn and teach myself a lot of these concepts. It has been a challenge.
          We started our learning with a Speed Dating Multiplication number sequence. This activity required us to each start with a number, then pair up repeatedly to have two numbers to multiply together each time. I enjoyed this activity, while I did find it challenging. We were multiplying pretty high numbers, so it our answers were in the thousands. I did like this activity as a "minds on" portion. It got us thinking about multiplication and the relationships between numbers. It is a good example because it can be applied to any grade level. Even grade 3-4's could do this worksheet, the teacher would just give the students smaller numbers to work with.
        While discussing patterning and algebra, one of the things I found was a lot of great activities. The textbook provides a variety of image examples to show patterning. The misconceptions students often had was related to the changes in orientation of a shape. I think this is extremely common, as students often think the way a shape is oriented defines part of it, but this is not the case. Two shapes can be exactly the same but mirrored, or translated. Using manipulative shapes would be a very good way to avoid this.

          One of the things that stood out to me this week was Mohamed's presentation. He was very funny and engaging and I liked the way he presented the equations. I felt like I understood and followed his presentation. One of the main things I was happy he went over was the difference between an equation and an expression. As a student, I struggled with this concept. I often could not identify what the question was asking, which would leave me lost. I liked his distinctions because I think comparing them made them stand out better in my mind. Students would take a lot out of his presentation. I also loved the GOAT! Greatest Of All Time would be a really funny title to introduce to students and let them compete for the title. I also loved that he took the time to relate his examples to real life experiences. I always remember things better when I form the memory around something I already know and understand, so Mohamed's presentation stood out to me after he made the concepts relatable to us as students and educators.
        I also enjoyed Nicole's presentation. She related the Fibonacci equation to the real life Parthenon. This task was challenging and hard to understand, but created a great learning environment. She explained the equation in a very understandable way, and I think if I am teaching that concept I will think back and use some of her ideas. Real life examples stick out in any students memory much more than memorizing an equation will.
"The Parthenon and Phi: The Golden Rule" (2016). Retrieved from Google Images. http://www.goldennumber.net/parthenon-phi-golden-ratio/

      One of the other concepts we discussed was teaching students who are learning or have learned English as a second language. This was very useful and can be applied to any subject area. I love when we discuss problems like this because it feels like very relatable information that I can see myself using out in the classroom. We discussed the challenges that come with teaching ESL students, but also were provided with strategies to consider. I have worked with a few students while volunteering that are ESL learners. I found that cues and gestures worked best for me, as I am already one of those people who talks with their hands. One of the things that stood out to me most of all was the idea of a language directory/ personal language dictionary. I loved loved loved this idea! I cannot wait to try it out. I may even apply it to an English class and make them all do it, regardless of their first language. The idea of students keeping a book that they write words they do not understand, may have heard in a different context, do not really know what it means, feel like they need to engage with it more is so exciting. I think it would be really beneficial to do.

"Lesson Plan ClipArt" 

      So far, I have found the hardest part of planning a lesson to be getting started. I feel like I do not know where to start. I have seen these great ideas, and understand the curriculum documents, and have started to become familiar with the process as a whole, but I still feel unsure about where to begin. It is a very intimidating process, because it comes with a lot of responsibility, and I want to do right by my students. The terminology in lesson plans has also been challenging to distinguish. We have gone over it once in our practicum class, but I still do not feel like I have a clear understanding of the terminology. I am also struggling through picking out curriculum specific and overall expectations, but am learning that and feel like I have clear expectations on that part.
        To make lessons learner-centered I plan on considering my students first when planning a lesson. I will make sure to be critical of ideas and think about my students when deciding whether they will work or not. At its core, lesson planning should first and foremost consider the effectiveness of teaching to these particular students. One cannot just take a generalized lesson plan and apply it to all students because not all students learn the same way. I hope to take each student into consideration when planning lessons.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment