Monday 18 September 2017

Math-ittudes

This week was another challenging one in the world of math! During our online tutorial, I watched a really inspiring video about math mindsets and maintaining a positive attitude. This is something that I think is super important as a future educator. I want to be the kind of teacher that encourages that little voice in my students head that says, "I can do it if I work hard!" I want my students to maintain that growth mindset, and feel like they can take on the challenging work of mathematics.

I also read an article about spatial reasoning. I chose this article because I do not have a lot of information on the topic, and wanted to learn more. The document states, "Spatial thinking, or reasoning, involves the location and movement of objects and ourselves, either mentally or physically, in space. It is not a single ability or process but actually refers to a considerable number of concepts, tools and processes" (3).  The benefits of studying spatial reasoning are clear in all aspects of mathematics, as the concepts often intertwine with one another and all of them work together. As stated in the article, "By exploring the spatial aspects of mathematics, we make it more accessible, more engaging and more relevant" (4). Below is a picture I took from the article that I found very helpful. 
Support Document for Paying Attention to Mathematics Education (4). 
Further, I found that this week, I am really starting to notice the way that math works together to assist students everyday life. Creating connections to real life allows students to find meaning in mathematics in an easier way. Also, using creative ways to present information will allow students to subconsciously learn math, like through the card games we have been doing as a Minds On portion of our classes. Metacognitive thinking allowed me to acknowledge the way I am learning in math lecture, and apply it to how I want to teach in the future. I plan on being the kind of teacher that uses positive words, that acknowledges the negative but tries their hardest to make it into a positive.

5 comments:

  1. I really admire how you chose to look into a topic that you found yourself to not be completely comfortable with. I think you are well on your way to becoming a great mathematics teacher because I think you will be able to model what 'growth mindset' look like to your students. Furthermore, it is also great that you looked into why spacial reasoning is important and beneficial, because once you are more aware of the benefits that come along with learning a particular topic, I think you will find yourself more encouraged to want to learn it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey, I really like that you mentioned that you were using metacognitive thinking during our math lesson. I too took the time after our card trick to try to realize what had gone through my head and what thought process I used in order to figure out the card trick. Do you think that if you were to do a similar activity in your own classroom that it would be beneficial to prompt students to think about their own thought processes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Casey!
    I love how you want to be the kind of teacher that is encouraging and be that little voice inside their head reminding them that they can do something! I think that is a great attitude to have entering the classroom and you will be very successful when you get your own classroom. In regards to Paula's question she left on your post, I think it would be beneficial to prompt students to think about their own thought processes in the classroom during an activity since it is a form of reflection. I think if students reflect on how they thought of something and then shared it with the class it can help students see things differently and give them different ways to approach things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Casey!

    Good for you for taking the initiative and seeking knowledge on a concept you aren't quite familiar with, I'm working on getting better at that too! I like what you said about the "little voice" I think its our job to help that voice become a LOUD VOICE, and it all comes down knowing how to support our students in creating good learning strategies! I hope your blog will have some more brightness and colour soon to match your positive Math-ittude :)

    ReplyDelete