Monday 2 October 2017

Connections...

This week in mathematics we learned about making connections! I love using the strategy of making connections in language, so I was particularly excited about this video. I also watched TWO webinars on Differentiated Learning.
First, I watched Bernadette and James present on strategies and techniques for learning with differentiation. They provided awesome resources and I really learned a lot. Bernadette and James did a little trick on us and asked us a really complicated question that they would not repeat the instructions. It was so hard to try and answer this really long and complicated question when it was just asked out loud to us. I was so shocked and confused! But, Bernadette and James were just tricking us a little bit, because they really just wanted us to learn from that. They wanted us to think about the ways we could have changed the question in order to make it more accessible. They went through the three ways to alter a question: process, content, and product. How could the wording make the question easier to understand? How could it be presented in a different way? How could answering it be made easier? These questions got us all thinking. It was awesome to see all the suggestions we all had, because they would have really worked to make it easier for us to answer! In turn, that means it would make it more accessible for students to answer!
Secondly, I watched Kursten and Brittany. They talked a lot about ways to make an environment filled with differentiation. They gave a lot of practical examples and real life experiences. I loved watching their webinar. They talked us through different practical strategies that implement differentiation. My favourite was the Cube that they showed us, pictured below 
(Accessed through:http://www.guided-math-adventures.com/wp-content/uploads/Paper-Fraction-Cubes.jpg) 
These cubes all for CHOICE and flexible learning groups. I really think they are an excellent idea for math differentiation.


From these two videos the key thing I took away was the expectations of differentiation which means are:
Key Features of Differentiation:
1) flexible learning groups

2) choice

3) respectful tasks

4) shared responsibility


      This link takes readers to a Prezi I made last year on Differentiation. From this presentation, and now these webinars, I learned a lot about what differentiation means in a math classroom. In a math classroom, there are certain expectations that must be met. However, having clear ideas on differentiation make that a bit easier. When differentiating, its important to remember that Universal Design for Learning is better for everyone. It makes learning easier for all students! 
      Also this week, I posted in the 18X5 forum, because not many of my classmates chose to participate in the same forum as me. The 18X5 forum was about different ways to solve math problems. It reminded me of the thinking that happens when performing a math string. I loved reading this forum because it reminded me that sharing thought processes can really improve mathematical skills. 
   We also have an extra math seminar this week! It is a PD day where we learn about Mathe-magical ideas! I can't wait to learn more! 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Casey,
    I thought you added some great resources in your blog such as your prezi and the cubes for the flexible learning groups. I can see myself using the cubes in the classroom for math differentiation. Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete